Poetical Elizabeth

Meditations on body, mind and spirit - the interchange of illness, self-examination, and Divine Love - the call to compassion - the need to create - "Because I have been athirst, I will dig a well that others may drink" -Arabian proverb

Name:
Location: The Midwest, United States

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Sacred Space today

I visited the prayer site, "Sacred Space" today. (See my third blog entry in the August 2006 archive.) Here are a meditation and a prayer that made me really pause and ponder:

Something to think about this week:
I cannot experience God directly. My mind cannot cope with his infinity. But in various ways I experience his effect in my life, for instance in moments of communion with others, in the joy of being in love, or with real friends, or in company that transports me beyond myself. Or I sense God’s touch when I feel empty, incompetent, a failure, unable to make of myself what I want to be. Or when I feel unsettled and long for quiet and peace. In all these situations, I feel my incompleteness and am moved by a force beyond myself. St Augustine said it exactly: You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our hearts are restless till they rest in you.

Freedom
What most often stops me achieving freedom is my tendency
to be caught up in fears and expectations about what I 'ought' or 'should' be.
My usual automatic responses tie me down and inhibit me from exploring new areas of growth.
I ask and pray for a greater sense of inner freedom
and that I might reach the fresh and challenging possibilities that God wishes me to realize.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home